21 March 2009

Gadget

“Do you have the air gauge thing?”, I asked the big woman behind the counter. She was made bigger still by bullet-proof plastic and the height of the false floor on which she stood.”There; it comes back.”, she replied with unnecessary sternness as she handed over the steel and rubber gadget. I remembered her from years before when I passed this way. She told me off for using my phone while filling the car. I was indignant then but too shocked by her tone to think of a timely comeback. “No problem”, I said as I turned to leave my face closed to the rage I felt. What anyone would do with the device should they decide to keep it was beyond me! How dare she, anyway. I’m the customer after all and should be treated better. It’s my right. Who does she think she is?

Back at the car, after some experimentation, I fitted the gadget she’d given me to the black air hose. Air exploded from the imperfect seal until I jammed it tighter. Once on the tyre valve things quietened down. The filling tyre lifted the car’s front-end visibly. She had seemed bitter I thought. I wonder what made her bitter? Perhaps if I had suffered the same life as her I would also be bitter. In this light my rage transmuted to pity, pity to grace and grace to love. How could I improve her day?

With gadget in hand I once again approached the counter. She was efficiently processing another customer so I waited thoughtfully. “Cheque or Visa?”, she asked. The truck-driver grunted “Visa” and after a pause signed where he fat finger indicated. There were big rings on two of them set with gaudy semi-precious stones. It looked like blood-red Garnet was her favourite. The wide gold bands were scratched with ware and bit into her fingers. I thought of ivy embracing a tree; ultimately to taking its life.

My turn came. “Thanks, I said”, as I handed over the gadget. “Nice rings.”, I added with a friendly tone. She looked stunned. “Thankyou”, she said in an utterly transformed voice. He face too had lost its hardness. She reached out, making eye contact and I sensed sadness. I smiled warmly and turned to leave. She looked down at her rings and touched them, lost in memory.

I exited the shop and walked back to my car genuinely not knowing if the transaction would make any difference to either of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment